A good night’s sleep can do wonders for the body. It’s during rest that essential functioning is restored to things like our central nervous system and blood vessels. Without proper sleep, ailments start to occur more frequently and our bodies begin a general state of decline, impeding our abilities to perform daily tasks.
Unfortunately, a huge part of the population is unable to get the sleep that they need. This is due to a variety of reasons, including demanding work schedules, anxiety issues and pain in the body, especially in the back and neck.
Though chiropractors are unable to assist you with a difficult boss一sorry about that一they may be able to relieve you of some pain that has made sleep elusive in recent months. This is especially true for those who suffer from fibromyalgia and the symptoms related to it.
If you or someone you know has been suffering from insomnia, it’s important to see a specialist as early as possible. Holding off may only exacerbate the issue. Inhibitory care may prevent the issue from developing into a chronic sleep issue; otherwise, it could pose greater issues down the road. Keep reading to find out how chiropractic care can aid those suffering from poor sleep.
Risks of Poor Sleep
Continuous nights with little to no sleep can wreak havoc on the body. Immune functioning drops sharply, leaving you at risk for illness. Mental functioning is far from optimum. There is a reason why every teacher growing up told you to get a good night’s sleep before a test! Less obvious but otherwise common effects from poor sleep can include:
- Poor mood –Irritability, impatience and difficulty concentrating are all likely results after consecutive nights with little sleep.
- Safety issues –Without proper sleep, you put yourself and others at risk for work-related or auto injuries.
- Cardiovascular health –Serious sleep issues increases a person’s risk of hypertension, increased stress hormones and irregular heartbeat.
- Weight gain –Chronic sleep deprivation can cause a person to gain weight since the body’s ability to store and process carbohydrates is affected.
- Disease –A weak immune system as a result of sleep deprivation can bring on more than just the common cold一it could lead to disease.
Benefits of Regular Sleep
While the above list explains all of the negatives that come from poor sleep, there are also a wealth of positive effects that result from healthy sleep habits.
- Replenishment –Sleep is the body’s version of repair mode. Without it, the body can’t repair the damage incurred by regular life.
- Reduced inflammation –Chronic inflammation disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, heart conditions, cancer and atherosclerosis have all been shown to be connected with sleep habits. Poor sleep increases stress hormones which make these conditions worse.
- Healthy heart –The risk of heart disease or stroke is significantly reduced with proper sleep of at least 7 hours each night.
- Reduced stress –Improper amounts of sleep put the body into a state of stress, leading to an increase in blood pressure which increases the risk of heart attack or stroke.
- Decreased depression –Without proper sleep, our body can’t regulate its serotonin levels. Serotonin helps us feel productive and happy.
What Causes Poor Sleep?
There isn’t any single cause that leads to poor sleep, however certain habits have been shown to affect a person’s ability to sleep well. Common culprits include too much caffeine intake, too much alcohol, a bad mattress and/or pillow, snacking right before bed, too much stimulation from a computer or TV, injury, ailment, stress and cigarette smoking. These are just some of the many factors that could lead to sleep deprivation.
A number of medications, both over the counter and not, are currently in the market that advertise improvements in sleep. Though this may be a quick fix to some problems, it is not likely to be a long term solution. Additionally, prescription sleep aids carry a high risk of abuse and addiction and thus should be used with extreme caution.
Chiropractic care could offer a sustainable, drug-free solution to the afflictions felt by some people. Especially in cases of pain and immune system functioning, chiropractic intervention may be a useful tool.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help You Get Better Sleep
Pain of both the acute and chronic varieties are a common reason for people’s insomnia. This pain is often felt in areas all throughout the body, however chiropractic care is usually able to reduce body-wide pain through manipulations in the spine.
In a recent study, 98% of a 221-person group sampled responded to a questionnaire by saying they had positive results regarding their ability to sleep after chiropractic adjustments. The vast majority of chiropractic patients do notice more restful sleep after an adjustment. Neurostructural chiropractic care improves the blood flow throughout the nervous system and fixes any misalignments in the spine, which can put pressure on the body that can lead to pain and improper functioning.
Chiropractic care aims to improve functioning throughout the body by attending to issues in the spine and neck. Neurostructural chiropractic care corrects abnormalities by fixing the underlying issues present in the structure of the spine. Correcting these foundational issues often allows for relief from secondary conditions, such as neck pain, back pain or trouble sleeping.
Subluxations are a partial dislocation or misalignment of the vertebrae, and are quite common for most people. The often compress the nerves, resulting in a lack of communication between the brain and the spine. This may lead to a stress response, imbalancing the body and affecting the ability to get restful sleep. Chiropractic care is adept at treating just such misalignments.
While not everyone goes to a chiropractor to improve their sleep functioning, most patients are thrilled with that as an additional side effect. Many of the problems that cause sleep deprivation can be treated by chiropractic care, including pain, poor breathing or restless leg syndrome (RLS).
Sleep deprivation is an unfortunately common ailment, affecting millions of people throughout the world. Chiropractic care offers some solutions to those who are battling sleep deprivation. Come in today for a complimentary consultation to see if you are a patient who could benefit from chiropractic intervention.